Yes, You CAN Carry Outside MA (with the right license)!

Traveling in today’s climate is dangerous.  From robbery to car-jackings to lone-wolf terror attacks and everything in between, you never know what could happen when you’re traveling.

Did you know that for less than a hundred bucks you can get one license that permits you to legally carry in 31 states?

Yes, you can carry outside Massachusetts with a Utah Non-Resident License!
Get the License – Be ready!

Sign up for the 1-day, 1 class, 1-license that allows you to legally keep your favorite handgun with you to keep your family safe when you travel throughout most of the U.S.

 How does this work?

Being able to legally carry in other states is based on three pieces to the puzzle.  The reciprocity piece, the “shall” v. “may” issue policy piece and one special scenario I’ll tell you about a little further down.

First, let’s deal with reciprocity…

Unlike Massachusetts, Utah has reciprocity, a formal agreement, to recognize gun permits with many other states.  Those same states formally agree to also recognize Utah’s gun permits.  Being armed while in those states is legally accepted.  That’s reciprocity in a nutshell.

As for every state’s policy of “shall issue” or “may issue”, Utah offers a Non-Resident License under their “shall issue” approval policy even to residents of states that do not offer reciprocity (very fortunate for us in the Bay State)!  This means if you meet the requirements, Utah “shall issue” the license to you. This is quite different from Massachusetts “may issue” where the local chief law enforcement official has discretion to issue, or not to issue, your requested license.

So, what is special about Utah?

Good question.  Here is an excerpt from the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification:

 “Do I have to be a Utah resident to obtain a concealed firearm permit?

No. Any U.S. citizen or legal resident (with the intent to reside in the United States) may obtain a Utah concealed firearm permit, providing they meet the minimum qualifications.”

Sounds easy right? But here’s the tricky part…you have to attend a Firearms class from a Certified Utah Firearms Instructor.  Luckily for you, Mass Gun Safety has Certified Instructors!!!

 Put together the three puzzle pieces of reciprocity, shall issue policy, and a Certified Utah Firearms Instructor, and you have the ability to carry in 31 states!

Now that you know how it works, how does it apply to YOU?

  • Visiting the Grand Canyon (AZ) or Mount Rushmore (SD)?
  • Taking a vacation down south this winter in Alabama, Georgia or the Outer Banks (NC)?
  • Taking your spouse to the Kentucky Derby?
  • Traveling through the heartland of Ohio, Indiana, or Missouri?
  • Taking your grandkids to rodeos in Texas or Oklahoma?
  • Visiting historical Colonial sites in Virginia?


That’s only a sample of all the states covered by the Utah Non-Resident License.  Check out the full list:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming. 

This class is also useful when applying for Non-Resident permits in Maine and Florida!

Now that you know this valuable license is available and where to get one, it is time to decide if you’re going to take action!

 Utah Non-Resident License will allow you to legally carry a handgun in 31 states.  It is the single most widely accepted license available in the nation.

Get the license – Be ready!

 Step 1   Click here to sign up for the class.

Step 2   Follow our instructions to complete the process.

Step 3   Wait for Utah to verify your requirements.

Step 4   Receive the license and legally carry in 31 states beyond Massachusetts!